Application deadline is February 1st
- Review the requirements for program admissions, and application procedures.
All documents, except transcripts and letters of recommendation, are to be submitted through the Graduate Admissions Document Upload (GADU) system. The applicant must enter in the name of their recommenders and their email addresses into the GADU system and the system will automatically email the recommender.
- The Ph.D. selection committee screens applications using the published Ph.D. Admissions Criteria and selects those to be interviewed. All applicants, including those not selected for an interview, will be notified in writing of their status.
General Admission Policies
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- Completed Texas State Graduate College application.
- Official transcripts from 4-year college or university attended, including evidence of a master’s degree from an accredited university. These must be mailed directly to the Graduate College. Transcripts are not necessary if the master’s degree was earned at Texas State.
- An application fee of $40.00.
- TOEFL score for students from countries where English is not the first language.
- An essay of approximately 500 words that describes the applicant’s background and professional goals including his or her rationale for pursuing a doctoral degree.
- A current resume.
- Name and contact information for 3 references. The Graduate College will email submission instructions to each reference.
The Ph.D. Teaching Faculty Committee will consider the following factors in deciding whether to admit an applicant to the program; strengths in one area may offset shortcomings in another:
- Evidence of a completed master's degree from an accredited university in an area related to proposed studies, with a grade point average of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale for courses applied to the master's degree.
- Demonstration of interest in a career as an educator and potential to contribute to the advancement of education through professional leadership, as indicated by:
- Review of an essay of approximately 500 words in length describing the applicant’s background and professional goals. This should include the rationale for pursuing a doctoral degree.
- An interview with program faculty.